Jen's Blog

Lightning strikes a symbol cloud. Suddenly everything we've ever known as truth falls to the ground. It seeps in and slowly begins to regenerate fresh ideas. Such things has only the immortal Redwood seen time after time after time after time after time after time -Jen Meharg '06

Wednesday, December 21, 2005


So this is Cristmas?



This year I told Scott that I didn't want anything and my reasons are these:

Each time I turn on the news and see the chaos we have created for ourselves during a time of year we set aside for us to celebrate the birth of one whose teachings are the complete antithesis of what we now do on Christmas it turns my stomach.

We are so focused on giving things, objects, that we have lost sight of the fact that giving attention and love to a child, or a smile to your neighbor, or even a conversation with a homeless person is so much more than giving an object that you can buy 364 of the other days of the year. I don't want to take part in that. It seems so empty.

I don't want to sew that seed of Anger and Greed.

This year I have made a lot of the gifts that I will give my family and Scott has made donations to the Red Cross in the names of certian people who I can't mention here because it's supposed to be a suprise and I think I just blew it....Anyway, my point is: it felt so much better doing Christmas this way than it has in years past rushing out to grab exactly what the other person has requested and ignoring the voice inside of me that is screaming "this thing is NOT a reflection of the way I feel about you or our relationship". This is the seed I mentioned earlier, I feel really good about the gifts that I have made and given, they came from the heart. And my hope is that when I hand the package to it's recipient they will feel the love and care I have put into it and this will grow and be with them throughout the year.

I know this way of celebrating Christmas will not be right for some, but for me I feel like I have discovered something new about giving. It's not so much what you give, but what's inside. Maybe this can make a difference...a little...a seed of hope.

I love you ALL and I hope that your celebrations bring you and your families Joy and Warmth and Happiness that will grow and be with you all throughout the years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home